What a night for musical theatre at the Olivier Awards with Come From Away and Company each winning four prizes and awards going to the Sondheim show’s Jonathan Bailey and Patti LuPone. Also in the acting honours though were Tina – The Tina Turner Musical’s Kobna Holdbrook-Smith and Caroline, Or Change’s Sharon D Clarke. Plus among the performances Six The Musical almost blew the roof off the Royal Albert Hall!
Come From Away won Mastercard Best New Musical, as well as Outstanding Achievement in Music, Best Theatre Choreographer (Kelly Devine) and the Royal Albert Hall Award For Best Sound Design (Gareth Owen).
Jonathan Bailey picked up his first ever Olivier Award, winning Best Actor in a Supporting Role in a Musical for his portrayal of Jamie in Company. The musical also won Magic Radio Best Musical Revival, the Blue-i Theatre Technology Award for Best Set Design (Bunny Christie) and Best Actress in a Supporting Role in a Musical for Patti LuPone.
First-time nominee Kobna-Holdbrook Smith won Best Actor in a Musical for his portrayal of Ike in Tina – The Tina Turner Musical, while Best Actress in a Musical was won by Sharon D. Clarke for Caroline, Or Change.
Choreographer and director Matthew Bourne was presented with a Special Award by HRH The Duchess of Cornwall, in recognition of his extraordinary contribution to dance.
The night featured performances from all the musical nominees: Caroline, Or Change; Come From Away; Company; Fun Home; The King And I; Six; and Tina – The Tina Turner Musical. Disney’s The Lion King, which celebrates its 20th anniversary opened the show with a special performance.
Acclaimed West End star Beverley Knight performed during the In Memoriam section of the show, paying tribute to those in the theatre industry who have passed away over the last year.
Visit our dedicated Olivier Awards page on #StageFaves for further coverage – and tons of social media – from the night.
Full list of musical winners at 2019 Oliviers
BEST ACTOR IN A SUPPORTING ROLE IN A MUSICAL
- Jonathan Bailey for Company at Gielgud Theatre
BEST ACTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLE IN A MUSICAL
- Patti LuPone for Company at Gielgud Theatre
OUTSTANDING ACHIEVEMENT IN MUSIC
- Come From Away – Book, Music and Lyrics: David Hein and Irene Sankoff; Music Supervisor, Arrangements: Ian Eisendrath; Orchestrations: August Eriksmoen; Musical Director/UK Music Supervisor: Alan Berry; and the band of Come From Away at Phoenix Theatre
BEST THEATRE CHOREOGRAPHER
- Kelly Devine for Come From Away at Phoenix Theatre
MAGIC RADIO BEST MUSICAL REVIVAL
- Company at Gielgud Theatre
BEST ACTOR IN A MUSICAL
- Kobna Holdbrook-Smith for Tina – The Tina Turner Musical at Aldwych Theatre
BEST ACTRESS IN A MUSICAL
- Sharon D. Clarke for Caroline, Or Change at Playhouse Theatre
ROYAL ALBERT HALL AWARD FOR BEST SOUND DESIGN
- Gareth Owen for Come From Away at Phoenix Theatre
BEST COSTUME DESIGN
- Catherine Zuber for The King And I at The London Palladium
BLUE-I THEATRE TECHNOLOGY AWARD FOR BEST SET DESIGN
- Bunny Christie for Company at Gielgud Theatre
OUTSTANDING ACHIEVEMENT IN OPERA
- The ensemble of Porgy And Bess at London Coliseum
MASTERCARD BEST NEW MUSICAL
- Come From Away at Phoenix Theatre
SOCIETY OF LONDON THEATRE SPECIAL AWARD
- Sir Matthew Bourne