Andrew Lloyd Webber was so impressed by Anna O'Byrne when she played Christine in his Australian premiere of Love Never Dies that he brought her back to London to make her West End debut as Christine in The Phantom of the Opera. She now takes on the role of Laura Fairlie in the first-ever revival of his 2004 musical THE WOMAN IN WHITE. And some other fab #StageFaves are joining her...
Acclaimed Australian musical theatre star, Anna O’Byrne, will take the role of Laura Fairlie in the first-ever revival of Andrew Lloyd Webber’s Tony and Olivier Award-nominated musical, The Woman in White. Directed by Thom Southerland, the production runs for 12 weeks at London’s Charing Cross Theatre, from 20 November 2017 to 10 February 2018, with a press night on 4 December.
A wildly exciting romantic musical with a tempestuous tale of love, betrayal and greed, The Woman in White is adapted from Wilkie Collins’ haunting Victorian thriller of the same name.
Following a chance encounter with a mysterious woman, dressed in white, Walter Hartright’s life is changed forever. On taking a position as drawing master to the beautiful Laura Fairlie and her half sister, Marian, Walter sees in Laura’s face an eerie reflection of the forlorn woman in white. As his feelings for Laura develop, they are thwarted by her engagement to the sinister Sir Percival Glyde. What is the connection between, Laura, Sir Percival, and the woman in white? Can true love prevail?
Anna O’Byrne played Christine in the hugely successful Australian premiere of Love Never Dies, which was later filmed for
Speaking of her upcoming role, O’Byrne said:
“I’m thrilled to be playing Laura in this re-imagined version of The Woman In White. Andrew’s score is just gorgeous, and it’s very special to continue our association on this show. Andrew has been, and continues to be, a guiding force in my career.”
Other cast announced today:
- Chris Peluso will play Sir Percival Glyde. Chris starred as Death in the European premiere of Death Takes a Holiday and played Nicky Arnstein opposite Sheridan Smith in the UK tour of Funny Girl. He made his West End debut as Chris in Miss Saigon and was Mississippi gambler Gaylord Ravenal in Show Boat at the New London Theatre.
- Carolyn Maitland is cast as Marian Halcombe (the role originated in the 2004 premiere by Maria Friedman, who won an Olivier for it). Carolyn starred as Molly Jensen in Ghost, Sally Bowles in Cabaret, and Ellen in Miss Saigon.
- Ashley Stillburn cast as Walter Hartright. Ashley was previously in Death Takes a Holiday at Charing Cross Theatre and has previously played Raoul in The Phantom of the Opera.
- Greg Castiglioni cast as Count Fosco (originated by Michael Crawford). Credits include the European premiere of Titanic, Fiddler on the Roof at Chichester, Evita (Magaldi), The Phantom of the Opera, Cats and Lend Me a Tenor.
- Sophie Reeves cast as Anne Catherick. Sophie is a recent graduate of Guildford School of
Acting,and has appeared in the West End company of Les Misérables.
The Woman in White has music by Andrew Lloyd Webber, lyrics by David Zippel, and a book by Charlotte Jones. The new production features choreography by Cressida Carré, scenic design by Morgan Large, costume design by Jonathan Lipman, lighting design by Rick Fisher, and Sound Design by Andy Johnson. The music supervisor is Stephen Brooker, with orchestrations by David Cullen. Casting is by David Grindrod Associates.