Having celebrated its bicentenary in 2006, the current Adelphi Theatre is actually the fourth venue on this site in the Strand. In the 200 years since the first building opened on 27 November 1806, it has operated under no fewer than seven different names.
The first theatre was called the Sans Pareil, changing to the Adelphi in 1819 and the Theatre Royal, Adelphi, in 1829. A second theatre built in 1858 took the name Theatre Royal, New Adelphi, which in turn became The Royal Adelphi Theatre from 1867 onwards. In 1901 the third building, reconstructed to provide a new frontage on the Strand, opened as the Century Theatre. But within a year it reverted to the Royal Adelphi.
The current building is the fourth and opened in December 1930 with the same name. The Royal epithet was dropped in 1940 and the Theatre has just been the Adelphi ever since.